(Graphical User Interface to Yacas on Windows)
Code mode and interactive mode
- GUYacas is a graphical user interface (GUI) on Windows platforms
to the Yacas computer algebra
- GUYacas can be downloaded by clicking here
- GUYacas is "selfcontained" in the sense that it is NOT necessary
to install Yacas for GUYacas to work.
- GUYacas requires that "Microsoft .NET
Framework Version 2.0" is installed on
your computer. The .NET Framwork can be downloaded here.
(Note: You may need to have
administrative rights on your
computer to make the installation).
- Yacas is described in numerous places on the internet, for
example at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming/LearnByExample/Yacas
- Yacas comes with a comprehensive documentation
(300+ pages) which includes many examples. Some examples are given here.
There is a code mode (see screenshot) and an
interactive mode (see screenshot) of
- Code mode: In code mode,
the entire content of the script window is submitted with ctrl-y. If
some lines are highlighted, only these lines are submitted with ctrl-y.
The result appears in the output window.
- Interactive mode: In
interactive mode, lines are submitted one at the time and the result
appears in the output window.
In the program group (Start -> Programs -> GUYacas) there is a
help file with various scripts.
A GUYacas script (for use in code mode) could look like as follows
(note that # is used for defining a comment):
expansion (and show the result in nice form):
# - and show in Latex format
Running examples from the Yacas
The examples from the Yacas
documentation can be executed in
GUYacas by pasting the code into the GUYacas script window. This is
possible because of the following convention in GUYacas:
- Lines starting with "In>" are regarded as Yacas commands (and
"In>" is removed before the line is sent to Yacas)
- Lines starting with "Out>" are regarded as comments (and
is removed before the line is copied to the output window). Recall that
lines starting with "#" are also regarded as comments in GUYacas.
These code examples can be copied into the script window on GUYacas and
executed directly. The result is shown on the screenshot .
The Yacas help files can not be accessed directly from within GUYacas.
Happy GUYacas'ing !
- Platforms: Currently, GUYacas has only been tested on Windows XP.
Please let me know if you have problems on other versions of Windows.
- Credit: Credit is due to my collegue Henrik Stengaard who wrote
version of GUYacas and introduced me to C# programming.
- Bugs: Please report bugs to me at sorenh [at] agrsci [dot]